Posted on

The Chauvet Hotel and the C.J. Poppe Building

The Chauvet Hotel and the C.J. Poppe Building
The Hotel Chauvet was built by Joshua Chauvet and his son, Henry, in 1906. It’s the one remaining structure of five hotels that once welcomed visitors in the early 20th century. The Charles J. Poppe Store was built in 1883. It was a general store with the Pioneer Saloon in the Corner room. When it burned down in 1905, it was rebuilt as a two-story plum stone structure. The 1906 earthquake damaged the 2nd floor of the building. It was rebuilt with wood. In the early 1960’s, it was the location of Shone’s Country Store. Don Shone later moved his business across the street to become the Glen Ellen Village Market.Drawing by Archie Horton

Share